Thursday 13 #11
Well, I actually managed to get a [tag]Thursday Thirteen[/tag] together this week. Quelle Suprise! I decided to go with thirteen television series that I want to see appear on DVD already. Not that I don’t already have a huge DVD collection, it’s just that these are the ones that I have on videos. DVDs are slimmer, dontcha know.
Also, if you have a minute, please pop by my brand new blog – http://fremontlibraries.wordpress.com where our premiere T13 is 13 People Who Have Played Sherlock Holmes.
13 [tag]TV Shows[/tag] That Still Aren’t On [tag]DVD[/tag] in the USA:
1. [tag]Kung Fu: The Legend Continues[/tag] – Kung Fu (The Original Series) has all of its episodes out on DVD, so you’d think that this show would be next. But, noooooo. I have every episode on tape. Sometimes more than once. And I really need that space. Sigh.
2. [tag]Misfits of Science[/tag] – “Oh, those Misfits. Misfits of Science, ha ha…” This show wasn’t around that long, but I loved it. This is the first show that I remember seeing Courteney Cox in.
3. [tag]The Tomorrow People[/tag] (the newer version) – The original version of this British fantasy show is already out on DVD. It wasn’t around all that long. Could it really be all that difficult to bring to DVD, too?
4. [tag]Kidd Video[/tag] – How to describe this show? Well, it was a Saturday morning show that included a musical band that was stolen away and turned into cartoons. They played music videos (with live-action) at the end of each show. I still remember some of those songs. “A little TLC from you to me…”
5. [tag]Time Trax[/tag] – Why is this show not out on DVD? It was excellent. A man from the future comes back to the past to hunt down fugitives from his time. He carries with him a computer that looks like a credit card. It is named Selma. “The world needs more Selmas.”
6. [tag]Probe[/tag] – Created by Isaac Asimov, and lasting only seven episodes, this is a gem of a show. You can sometimes find it playing on the Sci Fi Channel, but not on DVD. Sigh.
7. [tag]Mysterious Cities of Gold[/tag] – This cartoon appeared on Nickelodeon back in the 1980s. Somewhere I have an audio tape with the theme from this show recorded on it. I held the tape player up to the TV, you see. Unfortunately, there was something wrong with the tape and so it starts speeding up after the first few bars of the song. This has become the ultimate inside joke between my sister and I. “Children of the Sun, see your time has just begun…”
8. [tag]Ocean Girl[/tag] – My brother *adored* this show. It was an Australian inport that lasted a couple of seasons. I think that it was on Nickelodeon, too, but I’m not sure. I want this to come to DVD for his sake. Okay…I liked it too. Just not as much as he did.
9. [tag]The Powers of Matthew Star[/tag] – This show I loved…until halfway through when they up and decided to change the format. So really, I’m only requiring the good episodes for this one.
10. [tag]The Sarah Jane Adventures[/tag] – Doctor Who is out on DVD, Torchwood is appearing soon on DVD, and The Sarah Jane Adventures hasn’t even appeared on tv in the US, yet. This does not stop me from wanting this Doctor Who spin-off to appear on DVD anyway. So there.
11. [tag]The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne[/tag] – It had Michael Praed in it. Do I really need to say anything else? This is another one of those shows that I enjoyed, and did not last. it makes you think that they are watching your viewing habits when that keeps happening.
12. [tag]Tarzan[/tag] – Okay. I sort of know why this show got canceled. This doesn’t stop me from being upset about it. It seems to me that this was the last show that I actually made an effort to see when it was shown. Once it was taken off of the air…well…I stopped caring so much about the next season’s new shows.
13. [tag]Starman[/tag] – This is the first show that I loved and lost. Today there are still people campaigning to bring it back. Seriously. I have no earthly idea why it was canceled. One season was not enough. Yes. I am still angry about this one, 22 years later. Bring it to DVD already, people!