It’s that time of year again, folks. Have a safe one.
Archive for December, 2010
Once upon a time, there was a cat named Emma.
Emma had a brother named Elliott.
One Christmas, Emma and Elliott’s family put up a tree.
And why, you may well ask, did they have to put up a baby gate around the tree?
I’ve written another poem. This one actually attacked me as I was getting into the shower. Good thing I got Aqua Notes for Christmas. (Yes, they actually work.)
As per usual, this poem went somewhere I wasn’t expecting. So…I hope that y’all like it.
Life is full
Things you’ll get to
And all the while
Part of you
Knows full well
That life often ends
A background truth
Something we choose
Day to day
I’ll worry about this
I’ve always wanted to
I’m too tired
Too much to endure
Is what you decide
The Long Sleep
Well, 1001 days ago (or slightly more at this point) I put together a list of things that I wanted to accomplish before 12/11/10. Let’s see how I did.
101 things to do in the next 1001 days.
Start: Saturday, March 15, 2008
End: Saturday, December 11, 2010 (12/11/10! Tee hee.)
1. Go to the Hiller Aviation Museum and write it up. (nope)
2. Go to the Chabot and write it up. (I went, but never got around to writing it up.)
3. Go to the Pez Museum and write it up. (done! 7/1/08)
4. Go on Photo Safari to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. (done! 5/25/08)
5. Go to Ardenwood Farm and write it up (nope)
6. Go to the Niles Essenay and write it up (nope)
7. Take the Niles Canyon Train and write it up (nope)
8. Visit a new state with the Hubby. (done! Went to Florida 10/2010)
9. Take a trip to Atlanta. (done! June 2010)
10. Go swimming at Anini Beach while wearing goggles and fins. (nope)
11. Go out drinking with my sister. (done! May ’09)
12. Take my brother to see a film. (nope)
13. Take my Father to tea. (Not unless you count the teas we do at home…so, no.)
14. Spend a day with my Mum however she wants to. (nope)
15. Do the “Day of C” with my Husband. (done! 6/29/08)
16. Go to a county fair. (nope)
17. Go to church. (done! for a few months in early ’09)
18. Go to the San Mateo library. (Tried…but there was no parking. nope.)
19. Learn 5 words of Scots Gaelic (well…actually I *did* do this. Not sure of the date, though. done!)
20. Learn 5 words of Irish (nope)
21. Learn 5 words of Welsh (nope)
22. Learn 5 words of Cornish (nope)
23. Learn 5 words of Manx (nope)
24. Learn 5 words of Breton (nope)
25. Learn how to crop, resize, and write on images in Photoshop Elements.(Wait! I did recently figure this out. Go me! done!)
26. Learn how to Podcast. (done! 4/7/09)
Taking Care of Myself
27. Get pregnant or know for sure that I can’t. (Still haven’t managed this one. growl)
28. Call OB/GYN’s office. (done! 4/4/08)
29. Get that gorram test done. (done! 8/1/08)
30. Change doctors. (done! 4/4/08)
31. Get a facial. (Why didn’t I do this?)
32. Get a massage. (done! 8/23/09)
33. Find a new dentist and get my teeth cleaned. (done! july 2009)
34. Get a physical. (done! sometime in 2010)
35. Get an eye exam. (nope)
36. Get 8 hours of sleep each night for seven days in a row. (…moving on…)
37. Get eyebrows done. (done! late 2010.)
38. Get a manicure (nope)
Getting things done
39. Renew Passport(nope)
40. Get Life Insurance for the Hubby. (done! 3/21/08)
41. Deal with the items in the dry-cleaning bag. (nope)
42. Compile emergency procedures document for home. (well…got a start on this, but…nope.)
43. Get rid of the Health Rider. (done! early ’09)
44. Buy three soft-sided cat carriers (0/3) (well…I got one. Part credit? No? Sigh.)
45. Clean out and organize the pantry. (done!…though I think it could use another cleaning. 2010)
46. Get collection of music audiotapes down to only the amount that will fit in the red thing. (Hey! I did this and didn’t even notice! Done in 2010)
47. Put the wall hanging on the wall. (done! early ’09)
48. Replace my missing work shoes. (done! 10/08)
49. Clear stuff away from the piano completely. (I’ve actually done this about three times in the last year or so…done!)
50. Get properly fitted for a bra. (done! 5/2/08)
51. Get rid of the tires in the shed. (nope)
52. Properly implement a filing system. (done in 2010…but I really need to file some of the stuff piling up.)
Reading and Writing/Blogging
53. Read The Celtic Twilight by W. B. Yeats (nope)
54. Read The Summer of Cotton Candy by Debbie Viguie (done! 2/09)
55. Get paid for a piece of writing that isn’t on a blog. (nope)
56. Finish Of Clocks and Christmas (nope)
57. Go through (and type up if needed) 5 notebooks (2/5) (Actually..I’ve gone through several more than five that didn’t need typing up. I’m calling this one done.)
58. Write my half of Chris’s fic. (nope)
59. Post a cartoon that I’ve drawn on a blog.(nope)
60. Set up a week’s worth of emergency Silliness.org posts. (Nope…and I barely post over there anymore, anyway.)
61. Finish that list of Doctor Who episodes (with availability and links) (Didn’t finish…)
62. Finish copying posts from thebookstacks.com (done! 8/5/08)
63. Back up watchingdrwho.com (done! 4/09)
64. Read The Hunter’s Moon by O. R. Melling (nope)
65. Read The Summer King by O. R. Melling (nope)
66. Read Drunk, Divorced and Covered in Cat Hair (nope)
67. Hunt down the book “Oh No It Isn’t” By Paul Cornell. (nope)
68. Hunt down the book “Lungbarrow” by Marc Platt (nope)
69. Read the HSP Book (nope)
70. Pay off the camera. (done! …I forget the date, though.)
71. Pay off the Alienware computer. (done! early ’09)
72. Pay off my computer. (done! early ’09)
73. Spend 7 days in a row without going out to eat (Including Starbucks.) (nope)
74. Go 60 days without using the big credit cards. (nope)
75. Open a savings account. (nope, but I just need to get to the dang bank already.)
76. Get a Safety Deposit box. (nope)
Food and Crafty stuff
77. Make a fan music video. (nope)
78. Make Mundane. (nope)
79. Make Homemade Mushy Peas (nope)
80. Try 5 new restaurants. (the Thai place in Saratoga, Sinbad in San Mateo, the Thai Place in Foster City, the pub in Pleasanton, and that Indian place in Fremont. done!)
81. Try 5 new kinds of tea. – (Pomegranate Green Tea – 3/24/08, Orange Dulce – 5/14/08, Chrysanthemum Herbal @ the Saratoga Thai place, Silver Needle, and whatever it was I had at The Grand Floridian. done!)
82. Scan in the old west pic (and make flair.) (Oh! I did this!)
83. Knit 5 scarves. (Did that ages back…done!)
84. Knit something other than a scarf to completion. (nope)
85. Make a medieval dress for myself. (I’ve asked my mother for help and I need to find a pattern) (nope)
86. Find, or in some other way procure, a pink Romana coat. (nope)
87. Try a new craft. (done! Button bracelets are cool.)
88. See five plays. (Working – 5/11/08, The Tempest – 7/22/08, Twelfth Night – 8/2/08, A Flea in Her Ear, and Peter Pan a British Panto. done!)
89. See Bride and Prejudice. (nope)
90. Watch the original Great Train Robbery. (done! 5/21/08)
91. Catch up on Doctor Who Podshock through episode 106. (finished through #1) (nope)
92. Go to Gallifrey One #20. (done! 2/14/09)
93. Watch all of the available First Doctor episodes. (nope)
94. Record myself singing 3 songs. (0/3) (nope…did do one, though.)
95. Get an old west picture taken with the hubby. (nope. never happening.)
96. Send a sneaky/fun present to someone. (I don’t remember. So, I’m guessing no.)
97. Listen to the first 20 Big Finish Doctor Who Audio Adventures. (1/20) (The Sirens of Time – 3/22/08) (nope)
98. Watch all available 2nd Doctor Episodes. (nope)
99. Call local comic book store about Doctor Who comics. (nope)
100. Make a list of things to do before I die. (nope…I’d still like to, though.)
101. Once the old list is nearly done, write up a new one. (I will be doing this directly, but haven’t yet.)
So in summation: 41 out of 101. Not terrible, I suppose.
And it’s really interesting to see how many thing I put on the list that I really don’t care about at this point. Hunh. Right-o, I’m off to work on my new list. My partner in crime and I have decided to try this again.
Okay. I went and hunted this down, as it is the song I most associate with Christmas for some reason. Please enjoy.
As an xmas gift to you lot, here is a random sampling of some seasonal music that I enjoy. (Sorry…I couldn’t find the Bob & Doug version of 12 Days of Christmas…nor the Space Ghost one for this playlist.)
Being as it is the holiday season, is it any wonder that I have a seasonal song stuck in my head? So…here it is (because I’m all about sharing):
The Beach Boys – Little Saint Nick:
This is played by “Frederic Chiu, Piano. Transcription by the same.”
I stumbled across this on Youtube, and guess what? I’ve actually seen Frederic Chiu play this piece live. No joke. It gave me my love of Prokofiev and everything. So, I hope that y’all enjoy this little musical interlude.
Hello to you few folks who still read this blog. *waves*
Things have been a bit stressful here of late, so I’m having a bit of trouble concentrating/being creative. Sadly, poetry about depression has always seemed a bit…melodramatic to me, so until I actually manage to come up with something interesting…I won’t be posting anything like that.
So, let’s go on to a quick rundown of the good stuff, shall we?
I went to a surprise party a week or so ago. The surprise worked! Huzzah!
Behold the cake of amazingness! –
In other news I actually went to one of those cookie swap things. Yes, that’s right, I baked cookies. I would like to point out here that I do not own a stand mixer. (I do, however, really really want one…mind you…I have no idea where I’d put it.) I, the hermit, went to a party where I knew a whole two people, met some nice folks (and two cats), had soup, chatted, lifted a large cat (…I have a thing about large cats, and he didn’t seem to mind…), and generally had a nice time. That’s two (Count them, two! *ah ah ah*) social engagements in a week. Weird.
Wanna know what else is weird?
I made Chicken Tikka Masala! (Yes…that means I cooked)
It didn’t turn out too bad for a first try. Also? I have all sorts of notes for my next attempt. I even bought a new skillet for it (shown above.) I’ve used the skillet a whole bunch since I got it (note to self: get a lid for it, darn you!) and it’s fab.
So…there you are. An update with socializing and cooking. Darn it…I’m hungry now. But it’s time for bed. Night all!
Yes, strangely enough, I am very fond of keys. The one pictured above is on my wall. I have some Yale ones, a couple of old ones (mostly for crafty ideas), and I even have a couple of charms in the shape of keys. I’m not really sure why I like keys…I just do, especially big old ones. And the best part? Keys are currently popular in jewelry!